Busy

Today I am keeping busy. A friend has given me 2kgs of tangelos that I am currently making into marmalade. I have included in the mix a very few of my Australian Red Centre Limes (a cross between an acrid mandarin and an Australian Finger lime). I am not sure if there will be any impact on the flavour, my previous experience with finger limes is that they imparted a noticeable flavour to my marmalade.

My Australian Red Centre Lime is cropping well this year.

This afternoon I am cooking the fruit in two batches. The first to derive the juice and the remainder to include in the jam.

The fruit of the red centre lime.

Here it all is cooking away.

On the boil, my tangelos and limes.

Meanwhile I am preparing some toilet rolls so I can get some pea seeds started. Hopefully it’s not to late to get a crop in. I tape 3 toilet roll cores together before filling them with seed raising mix and getting the seeds underway.

On a roll, sorry about that.

Once the seeds sprout the rolls will be separated and planted individually. This way I can set up the best defenses against the ever present garden snails.

Advertisements

Don’t get ahead of yourself

Spring is getting very close indeed and the urge to get out in the garden and “do something” is growing. But I need a bit of restraint as weather in these parts is quite variable just now.

So today I restricted myself to two urgent tasks, transplanting a rhubarb corm for a friend and tieing up the broad beans.

As you can see the rhubarb was rather bigger than I originally thought.

So into a larger container it went, along with some interference from the girls who wanted to pick the good bits out of the compost first.

With a little ‘help’ from my friends.

I left it a bit late to do this job so I hope the plant survives.

Thankfully the broad beans were a bit easier to manage, particularly after I put the chooks away. The plants are growing away nicely and we can expect a big growth spurt once the warm weather really arrives.

Broad beans at the end of winter.

In went the poles and out came three t-shirts worth of ‘rope. I can’t remember just how long we’ve been using this to tie up the broad beans but it’s been a few years now. As you can probably see there is no real rhyme or reason to my tieing pattern. Just keep winding until it runs out.

A crazy cat’s cradle for the broad beans!

Oh and I did manage a bit of weeding while I was there. Enough to keep the chooks happy at least.

Three of the four chooks, the other one was trying to jump up and eat my camera.

We’re back!

There was a short hiatus as we were gallivanting around Europe for three months. We left in early autumn and have returned in late winter.

Prior to leaving we planted garlic and broadbeans, which with the help of friends and the watering system, are growing strongly. Starting to clean up the spent summer crops yesterday I harvested these bean seeds. The strong, healthy seeds in the larger bowl will be used to grow next summers crop. The smaller seeds, some damaged by too much rain, will be used as part of a green manure crop.